Messerschmitt Bf 109 variant

Messerschmitt Bf 109 Bf 109 D

Messerschmitt Bf 109 sheet

Image pending
647
Units built

History

The Bf 109 D, developed from the V10 and V13 prototypes, was the standard version of the fighter in Luftwaffe service just before the start of World War II. Despite this, it saw only limited combat: the 235 Bf 109 Ds still in Luftwaffe service at the start of the Polish Campaign were rapidly withdrawn and replaced by the Bf 109 E, except in some night-fighter units that kept using it into early 1940. The D-0 and D-1 versions were fitted with the Junkers Jumo 210D engine. The D-2 was an experimental variant with an additional engine-mounted machine gun, an attempt that failed again as it had on the B and C; the D-3 was similar to the C-3, with two 20 mm MG FF cannons in the wings. A total of 647 units of all versions were built, shared between Focke-Wulf, Erla, Fieseler, Arado and AGO (Messerschmitt is listed with only four, probably the D-0 pre-production series). Several Ds were sold to Hungary, and Switzerland bought 10 D-1s (serial numbers 2301 to 2310) built by Arado-Flugzeugwerke in Warnemünde.